Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Notable Quotes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get carried away.

'We want to (continue) developing talent, be it local or foreign. One way is to get kids started playing at the kindergartens.' Lee Bee Wah

So we got our silver medal. We had our fun and the opportunity to cheer and clap and shout. Now the hilarious moment is over, we should take stock and ask ourselves, 'Is it worth it?'

To be able to answer this question, we need to know how much public money is being spent for that medal? This is not like keeping up with the Joneses next door. To do that you are spending your own money. But we are talking about spending millions of public money in the quest for an illusion. Fun to have. But always remember the price and how the money could be channelled for more meaningful things.

When we are prepare to mean test our people for hospital admission and not prepared to provide more C class beds, should we be spending so much money to nurture foreign talents to win medals? Spending on our own sons and daughters is an acceptable thing. Spending a small sum of money for a little fun is also acceptable.

Just don't get carried away.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Make sure that our young people are hungry. If our young people are not hungry enough, bring in hungrier ones from overseas. Make them feel hungry, increase the hunger index.' Philip Yeo

This may be a magic formula to keep our young competitive and not becoming complacent. Get hungry people who are willing to do more for less, who wanted to do more just to make their lives a little better, bring them here.

One very difficult task, and very formidable task, is to make people who are very full to feel hungry. One contradiction is that while everyone knows and can see that these very full people are very full of everything, they sincerely believe that they are very hungry and wanted to have more, but not to do more. This is the biggest challenge facing paradise.

The money not enough is not a problem of the poor. It is the problem of the rich. Everyday they kpkb, money not enough.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place for our own children...in our heart.

Why would parents care for their own children, love them so dearly even though some may be less than normal, even unbearably handicap? This is the unexplained greatness of parental love. My child, and I love my child regardless of anything. Some spent a fortune, gave up jobs, sold all their belongings, just to look after the child, against all odds. There is no such thing as giving up on the child once brought into this world. They would not trade anything for the child, even if someone would to offer them a beautiful child in exchange. Parents will not abandon their own children.

My child is everything. There is an emotional thing involved.

Reflect on this and the concept of foreign talent. Why are we indulging and dotting on foreign talents and neglect our own children just because they are less talented? Why are we splashing valuable resources on foreign talents, not our children, and not using the same resources on our not too gifted children? Have we gone crazy?

If foreign talents are so important, and no talents or lesser talents, even if they are our very own, are less regarded, would we one day exchange all our children for talented foreign talents? Would we forsake and trade our children for other people's children?

Our parents will not. We, if we become parents, will not. We wish the talented children of other parents well. But foremost, we will care for our own children first, with everything we got.

Don't get carried away with foreign talents. If this necessity is the way to go, culled our own less able children and replaced them with talented foreigners. To live with this logic of pragmatism and survival of the country, we cannot afford to have laggards even if they are our children. It is survival of the fittest. No feelings, no emotions, no attachment, no self. Just simple economics of survival. Take in only the best.

Is this the way to go?

Why do we called ourselves Singaporeans and this island our home?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise here I come

Singapore is indeed a paradise not only to Singaporeans, but to the many PRs and foreign talents working here. They have good jobs, good pay, good environment, and treated very well by Singaporeans. And the govt is still trying to convince the locals to treat the foreigners even better. Where on earth can a foreigner find another country that is so friendly to them?

Filipino Mac Gregore Ponce Tan (31, architect), a PR since last year, balloted successfully for his daughter to a school of his choice. And he had this to say, (I quote from Young pay and pay blog),

"Although I am a foreigner, I am not discriminated here. I receive the same privilege and rights as Singaporeans. This is very fair. This is a place I like most!"

Native Singaporean Foo Wang Heng (My own translation of his Chinese name. 40, stockbroking sector. ) was unsuccessful. He said:

"(My daughter,) such a little girl, every day having to spend so much time on transport, it's not a good thing! And as for the school's quality, we have now reach a stage, where we no longer have a choice (because it's now up to MOE to anyhow allocate)"

I think any Singaporean who is in Foo Wang Heng's shoe and claimed that he would not feel unhappy about the situation must be lying or an idiot. It is good that we treat our new citizens and PRs well since we welcome them here. We shall provide them with the best environment possible to make their stay comfortable and pleasant. We want them to enjoy our hospitality as a gracious people.

I still think we need to do something more for our very own people. We must provide enough classes to accommodate all the children of our citizens and PRs. But putting them together under the same balloting scheme will surely create bitterness among the citizens when they got out balloted by non citizens. It is only a human reaction.

It would be better to give priority to Singaporeans by separating PRs and Singaporeans into two balloting schemes. If we can assure the PRs that there will be places for their children in our good schools, I don't think they will be unhappy. I don't think they will demand to be treated as equal as a citizen. Some may have the audacity to demand so. We can tell these talents to go home if they think we are not treating them well.

But the process to ensure that children of PRs have a reasonable chance of being enrolled in good schools will be something the talented administrators have to work out without incurring the wrath and unhappiness of the citizens. Perhaps a percentage of PRs to provide a healthy mix be use as the justification for an admission formula. Call it the PR phase or whatever, but let them ballot among themselves.

For citizens to be ballotted in the same phase as PRs will definitely incur some displeasure no matter how reasonable or magnanimous the citizens are. Something to think about. I think we are being very insensitive to the feelings of citizens.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Good govt needn't fear demos' Goh Chok Tong

This is the quote I read in the ST today. I must agree. When you have good govt, there is no need for demos. See, Singapore got no demos.

But after the opening up of Hong Lim Park, maybe got demos. But that does not mean we have bad govt. We allow or ask them to demo. See the difference. In Thailand it was spontaneous demonstration or orchestrated demonstration.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Good govt needn't fear a by election' Redbean

There is no need for a by election at Bukit Batok. The people would not want it. They would prefer the govt to spend time working on the economy and more handouts to help them in such difficult times.

I spoke to so many people, all 3 of them said no need for by election.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'A new four room flat can cost close to $300,000 to develop, but is priced at about $200,000 to $260,000 in locations such as Punggol and Sengkang, said the board(HDB).'

This is quoted from an article by Jessica Cheam in the ST today.

Wow, selling at a loss. Real subsidy. And when the Pinnacles were being built at Duxton, they could priced them below $300,000 at the first launched. That price must be a discount too. But they also said the discount was marked to the market price of resale flats. Now that market price of resale flats have gone up, they are pricing them above $450,000! Big year end bonus coming.

Why can't I get the reasoning right? I am very confused.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" For a person who runs a million-dollar charitable organisation, $600,000 is peanuts as it has a few hundred millions in reserves." - Mrs Goh Chok Tong

"If you don't include your women graduates in your breeding pool and leave them on the shelf, you would end up a more stupid society...So what happens? There will be less bright people to support dumb people in the next generation. That's a problem." - MM Lee in 1983

"Save on one hairdo and use the money for breast screening." Lim Hng Kiang

"Only 5% are unemployed. We still have 95% who are employed." - Yeo Cheow Tong

"Retrenchment is good for Singapore . If there is no retrenchments, then I worry." - SM Goh

"We must encourage those who earn less than $200 per month and cannot afford to nurture and educate many children never to have more than two... We will regret the time lost if we do not now take the first tentative steps towards correcting a trend which can leave our society with a large number of the physically, intellectually and culturally anemic." - MM Lee in 1967

"Contrary to public perception, the White Horse classification is not to ensure that sons of influential men gets preferential treatment. Instead it is to ensure that they do not get preferential treatment."- Cedric Foo

"I give you an example: you put out a fun podcast, you talk about 'bak chor mee'; I will say "mee siam mai hum", then we compete." PM Lee Hsien Loong

"I don't think that there should be a cap on the number of directorship that a person can hold." - PAP MP John Chen who holds 8 directorships
"It's not for the money because some of the companies pay me as little as $10,000 a year." - PAP MP Wang Kai Yuen who holds 11 directorships.

"We started off with (the name) and after looking at everything, the name that really tugged at the heartstrings was in front of us. The name itself is not new, but what has been used informally so far has endeared itself to all parties." - Mah Bow Tan on the $400,000 exercise to rename Marina Bay as Marina Bay .

"Having enjoyed football as a national sport for decades, we in Singapore have set ourselves the target of reaching the final rounds of World Cup in 2010." - Ho Peng Kee

"I would want to form an alternative policies group in Parliament, comprising 20 PAP MPs. These 20 PAP MPs will be free to vote in accordance with what they think of a particular policy. In other words, the whip for them will be lifted. This is not playing politics, this is something which I think is worthwhile doing." - SM Goh

"If you want to dance on a bar top, some of us will fall off the bar Top. Some people will die as a result of liberalising bar top dancingˇ­ a young girl with a short skirt dancing on it may attract some insults from some other men, the boyfriend will start fighting and some people will die." - Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports

"People support CPF cuts because there are no protest outside parliament." - PM Lee

"Singaporean workers have become more expensive than those in the USA and Australia ." - Tony Tan

"No, it was not a U-turn, and neither was it a reversal of government policy. But you can call it a rethink." - Yeo Cheow Tong

"ˇ­I regret making the decision because, in the end, the baby continued to be in intensive care, and KKH now runs up a total bill of more than $300,000ˇ­" - Lim Hng Kiang, regretting the decision to save a baby's life because KKH ran up a $300,000 bill

"Without the elected president and if there is a freak result, within two or three years, the army would have to come in and stop it." - MM Lee Kuan Yew

"Please do not assume that you can change governments. Young people don't understand this" - Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, post-2006 General Elections

"How much do you want? Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" - Dr Vivian Balakrishnan
"People could buy frozen food instead of more expensive fresh food" "They could opt for house brand goods, which cost less than others. " - PM Lee

"Based on figures provided by ComfortDelGro , Singapore 's biggest taxi operator, cabbies are pocketing about $11 more a day, earning about $318." - Mr. Raymond Lim

"GST hike is to help the poor." - PM Lee

"'I mean, we are different. This was a lapse, what to do, it's happened." - PM Lee

'You know, the cure for all this talk is really a good dose of incompetent government. You get that alternative and you'll never put Singapore together again: Humpty Dumpty cannot be put together again...and your asset values will be in peril, your security will be at risk and our women will become maids in other people's countries, foreign workers.'
- MM Lee - Justifying pay hikes for Singapore ministers, The Straits Times, 5 April 2007

'This should never have happened. I am sorry that it has.' - Wong Kan Seng

Lim Swee Say:
Every month, when I receive my CPF statement, I feel so rich and the best part is, I know the CPF money won't run away. CPF will still be around for a long, long time to come. Not only is it earning good interest, my capital is protected.

Leaving the best for last...
"Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, Chiam See Tong, Steve Chia. We can deal with them. Suppose you had 10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for Singapore , I'm going to spend all my time thinking what's the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes, how can I solve this week's problem and forget about next year's challenges?"PM Lee Hsien Loong, 3 May 2006.

AND last but not least, here's what MM Lee said in April 2007:-
........you have to pay the market rate or the man will up stakes and join Morgan Stanley, Lehman Brothers or Goldman Sachs and you would have an incompetent man and you would lost money by the BILLIONS.....!!!!!!

The above quotes were circulated to me in an email.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it made lesser mortals envious and they thought maybe he was a little bit boastful. Would people have taken offence if his wife (a senior investment counsellor at a bank) had paid for everything?

MP Charles Chong (Today)
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Obama will feel a little envious if he were to compare his pay with our President. Redbean.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extracts of Obama's speech

Below are extracts of Obama's inauguration which may be spoken by another great leader who will lead us forward to a better tomorrow.

....On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.

On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics.

We remain a young nation, but in the words of scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom.

For us, they packed up their few worldly possessions and traveled across oceans in search of a new life....

Time and again these men and women struggled and sacrificed and worked till their hands were raw so that we might live a better life....

What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them — that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works — whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public’s dollars will be held to account — to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day — because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government....

As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience’s sake....

To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist....

redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserves won't be depleted
They are long-term investors and Govt is confident they will deliver: Lim Hwee Hua

In 8 months we have lost $58b or 31%. The numbers for GIC is still not disclosed. If one is to extrapolate the numbers, how much more can we lose? Not a reasonable assumption or trend of thought? When we bought into the distressed banks, did we think that losing 70% or 80% is possible? No, conventional wisdom says it was not possible.

Can our reserves be depleted? God knows. Any human beans can guarantee that it will not? I don't think any human beans should ever try. But if you are not any ordinary human beans, maybe can. Also if the reserves can be topped up again and again, then it will never be depleted.

Now, what or how much would it be considered as being depleted? Is 30% or 40% a depletion? If yes, it is already depleted, by $58b. Or $58b is just another peanut?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“My loyalty is first and foremost, to the people of Singapore. It has always been so, and will always remain so.” Ong Teng Cheong, First Elected President.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'On a long term basis, overall, the way the Govt has managed the money, we haven't done badly.' Lee Hsien Loong

I disagree. We have managed our money well until we started the shopping spree. And the last few deals to buy the banks, were at best, good intention but poor execution.

Losing $100b can never be called 'haven't done badly.'
Green Peas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Prime Minister,

I think when you said "We have not done badly" you actually meant "We have done very badly".

But because it was your own wife and your own father who were the ones who have done badly, you dared not say so publicly, right or wrong?

By the way, I seriously and certainly think that you have done badly. Losing more than $100 billion of taxpayers' hard-earned money for "shopping or gambling" spree cannot be considered by any sensible and responsible person as "not done badly".

We don't need you to console us. We know fully well what it is.

We hope you are only consoling yourself, your father and your wife.

Please notice that I have not use the word "WE" because what you, your wife and your father have done has got nothing to do with me or the rest of the people in our country.

Very sorry. I don't mean to offend you. I only want to say the truth from my heart.

If the truth hurts, hope you are man enough to excuse me. Because I am nothing but a small little "bacteria" in the cyberspace as described by one of your balls-carriers.

Bery Pai Seh, hor.
Yours respectively,

The Green Peas
of the Green Green Grass of Home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: