Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Notable Quotes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Are there any countries in the world which have national pension schemes that exclude the bottom 25 per cent of the population?' Leong Sze Hian

My answer is yes, in paradise. Leong Sze Hian was responding to the CPF Life annuities scheme that excluded those who have less than $40,000 in their Minimum Sum. And this is exactly the group that needs help.

So what will happen to them when they are old and have no money and not in the scheme? Search me, I do not want to know. Not my pasar.
Grunt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think they are in it for the people or the MONEY ?

The fundamental acceptance criteria is there for all to see .....
You need MONEY to be in the system.
If not, LUCKY you they would not be getting their hands on your
paltry sum as membership is above $40K.

Membership has it priviledges !
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to ask who is luckier, those accepted into the scheme or those excluded from the scheme?

I rather be out of the scheme and have my money in my pocket.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To be the prime minister, you don't have to know every instrument, but you got to recognise, ah, he's a good violinist, he'll be the first violinist, he'll be the double bass. He will play the viola, he will have the trumpet, he will do the drums. Then you coordinate them and then you have great music. And if you already have a great orchestra, you can put a dummy there and you still got great music." Lee Kuan Yew
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing we want is for a woman to be made the PM by riding on the coat tails of her husband or father, and not on her own merit. Koh Kian Beng

While reporting on a public forum discussing the possibility of a woman PM, Koh Kian Beng, a SPH journalist or reporter, inserted the above quote into his article in the ST today. I find this an amusing and interesting quote.

Why should such an idea of a woman becoming a PM because of her husband or father be a concern in the first place? Are we expecting such a woman PM in the foreseeable future? Or why must a woman become a PM only through her connection and not her ability? A bit of sexist chauvinism and quite patronising to the women.

The other point to amuse ourselves is that it is ok if a man becomes a PM because of his father or wife. So it is acceptable for a man but not acceptable for a woman to ride on his connection.

This will be a good cocktail party gossiping topic. Hentail parties can dispute this judgemental view as well.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'We must go back to the people and take ti to them. Our weakness has often been out top-down approach.' Khir Toyo, Former Selangor Mentri Besar

I think this top down approach is the strength of the Singapore Govt. And it works here because we have the best talents in govt. It fails in Malaysia for exactly the opposite reason.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'You cannot be a political party and be strong in a democracy when there is a strong disconnection between your message and what the populace is now about. And the populace is now about openness, dignity and integrity.'

Dr Ooi Kee Beng, a fellow at the Institute of SE Asian Studies.

Ooi was referring to UMNO and commented that the days of Barisan National is over.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'In fact, if we test people's understanding of policies, I think even news workers and PAP MPs might not pass.' Lee Hsien Loong

I agree with Hsien Loong. Things are getting too complicated for people to understand them. Many take things at face value if we read the remarks of the complacent Singaporeans in msm and cyberspace. Everything is so simple and easy to understand.

Real issues go far beneath what we see and read. As for news workers and MPs, quite expected.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of a simple mind

You don't have to look far to understand how simple minded Singaporeans are. Just read the post by a Chong Yew Mun in the ST Forum today. He is claiming that people were too quick to recognise others mistakes like the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo and thinks that they have overlooked the putting down of the recent Tibetan riots.

He also finds it curious that Dr Ong Siew Chey, another forumer, suggested that the timing of the Tibetan riots coincided with the Beijing Olympics. He can not see any connection in the two events.

His innocence is remarkable.

He said China is solely responsible for the recent protest because of its suppression of the riots. It was the rioters fault that led to the suppression.

He needs to understand what is geopolitics and why human rights is bullshit when political considerations take precedence. I like his innocence and idealism of a black and white world view. So simple to understand.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'You can delegate a task, but you cannot delegate your responsibility.' Redbean

I learnt this as a young officer in NS.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Sometimes...the harder course is to face down the calls to resign, stay put - and win the war.' Chua Mui Hoong

Chua Mui Hoong mentioned the above quote when comparing British Defence Secretaty Joh Nott who offered to resign during the Falkland War, actually recolonisation of the Falklands, with the call for Kan Seng to resign.

All CEOs who are getting multi million dollar salary should frame this up and hang it in their offices just in case. It is a good piece of pragmatic advice.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'A society can only survive if there is a sense of equity and fair play.' Lee Kuan Yew
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One freak election will ruin us - LKY

I think this is very real. Under a normal electoral system of one man one vote and one MP one constituency, the chances of a freak election is lesser. Today, our election is decided by slightly more than 10 GRCs. And with the way things are happening, all it needs is one MP or minister in a GRC to incur the wrath of the people, and the particular GRC can go kaput. And it is not easy to lose a handful of GRCs at the way things are going. Losing a handful of MPs in a single ward electoral system will not cause any harm. Losing a handful of GRCs can be as good as losing an election.

The GRC can cut both ways. It can entrench the position of a ruling party, it can also cause the ruling party to lose everything in a freak election. It can happen.

Murphy's Law is very powerful.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a GEM!

To hold a by-election would be a waste of public funds and will be an invitation to political mercenaries to appear from the cold. They will promise the naive and the gullible the moon and the stars.

Lionel De Souza (ST Forum)

This is the most enlighten quote so far. If this has come out of Parliament, I will definitely insert it there. Once in a while wisdom speaks for itself.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Citizens wishing to participate in the public discourse are free to enter politics and fight for their convictions, or to stay outside the ring as 'poets, philosophers and public intellectuals'. Ho Peng Kee

I can call myself a poet, but I can't write poems. Can I call myself a philosopher? Hmmm, better don't delude myself. How about public intellectuals instead of private intellectuals? What's the dif? Who dares to call himself an intellectual?

I will be content with the 4th P, just simply 'people.' Can the people of a country participate in public discourse without entering politics? I think in a democracy this is the right of a citizen, the people of a country to discuss matters that affect them and their lives. In an authoritarian state, the people are expected to shut up and just obey. So, if the people indulge in public discourse, are they committing a crime here? Looks like so leh, according to this interpretation. It only permits 3 types of people to talk cock.

How many people qualify as poets, philosophers and public intellectuals here and can be given licence in public discourse?

Who says we can speak freely and those who think otherwise are having a wrong perception?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: