Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Notable Quotes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It is fun to ridicule opposition parties as long as one is not ya ya.' Redbean.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singaporeans obsession with preparing for tomorrow

'Living longer, must work longer, must draw down later, must save more, and must take care in case you live beyond 85.' Lee Hsien Loong

Hsien Loong is talking about CPF and the need to keep more money for beyond 85.

What I would like to tell Singaporeans is to prepare for life after 85, after death. What happens if one goes to hell? Singaporeans must prepare now, what they should do in case they go to hell or to avoid going to hell.

Going to heaven is a happy problem.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It is not for any individual to decide who is fit to stand for election. It is for an informed and intelligent electorate to decide who should be elected. This is a very fundamental principle of the democratic process.' Dr Wong Wee Nam.

Have Singaporeans been robbed of this right to decide who can or cannot run for election and who can or cannot be elected?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'the mainstream's (media) future would be assured by its "ability and commitment to provide accurate and credible information with thoughtful analyses and objective commentaries".' Lee Boon Yang

Boon Yang also added that msm has 'professionalism and objectivity' in its favour. This is in response to the challenges of internet.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human Rights in Singapore?

'It should not be there just for the sake of advocacy. Human rights issues have to be conginzant of the society they are applied to, and the degree of sophistication of the country and people.' Baey Yam Keng

This has been the talk of the town since we took over the Chair of Asean and people are expecting that Singapore should take some kind of lead or leadership in promoting human rights. In my view, Singapore does not need any human rights organisation not that we are not sophisticated enough for it. Also our society does not need a human rights group for the sake of human rights movement.

We are free from human rights abuses. Compare to all the Asean countries, no one can come near us as far as human rights are concerned. We are the best. Even the US, the champion of international human rights, is our best friend. That speaks volumes for our human rights record.

Other countries should follow our examples on human rights and treat their people as fairly as us. We deserve a medal from the US and the UN on human rights.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human Rights - Confucianist version

Long before the western world talked about human rights, Confucian had clearly defined what human rights were meant to be. These rights were enshrined in the principles of destiny or fate. People were born to be kings or workers and all were expected to live through their destiny in the best they could.

A king shall be a good king and shall rule the country in the best way he could. For that he is bestowed with all the powers and authority to do as he pleases as a king.

The people who are born to be workers shall be examplary workers, be they carpenters, taxi drivers or production workers. They shall just put in all their energy and effort to be good workers. And that is their right.

The ministers or government officials shall be good government officials and manage the country for the king. They shall all be obeyed.

The father shall all be good fathers and children be good childrens etc etc

As long as everyone does his part and live within his destined life, live responsibly and does not interfere in matters outside his realm of existence, there will be order and peace on earth.

That is the Confucianist version of human rights. Everyone has the right to live his or her life as what he is born to be. And I believe all the Asean countries will love to live by this version of human rights.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money grabbing politics

'Much money-grabbing from the national tills were effected by those within or connected to the elite ruling political party. I sincerely hope the Hindraf case will not only bring the plight of the Indians to the international forum but the plight of other minorities as well.'

The above quote is copied from www.littlespeck.com. It is written by a non Malay who said he had left but not sure whether it is Malaysia or the civil service.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Singapore's leadership is honest' S Dhanabalan

KNN. With the compensation package designed to make everyone honest, what shall we expect?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Welcome to the dark side. Stand side by side with your father. Feel the power...' The Emperor of Star Wars
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'If we are not able to think for ourselves and decide if what they tell us is either good or useful or not so good, we wouldn't be here.' Lee Kuan Yew

What we read in the news, especially the news produced by reputable msm, including Reuters, BBC, NYT or ST or whatever, read it carefully, understand them, and understand what are their agendas. Then decide whether it is to our interests or against our interests. For they are all views, not necessarily right or wrong, but views to influence and manage your way of thinking and seeing things.

LKY's comment above was in response to a question on free speech in Singapore. He pointed to Taiwan, the Philippines, South Korea as countries with free press but not necessary free of corruption. The 'media itself is corrupted.'

Before anyone thinks that in order to be free of corruption, we cannot have a free media. Both are not exclusive. Why can't we have freer media and corruption free? This is the same as asking why can't we pay our politicians decently, and not excessively, and remain corruption free.

Ok, I admit that what is decent or excessive is relative. But we all have this gut feel when things are excessive or not right.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'This way you are not passing the burden (of caring for the elderly) to the next generation.' Lee Kuan Yew

LKY 'defended Singapore's CPF scheme and argued against pensions for the elderly, which have to be supported by tax revenues...The CPF scheme, he said, helps Singapore to remain competitive, saying it aims for "minimum tax rates and maximum self sufficiency".'

The above was part of his conversation at the Silver Industry Conference Exhibition and is reported in the ST.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Test will err on side of generosity' Khaw Boon Wan

Boon Wan said this during his dialogue sessions attended by more than 900 people on his plans to introduce mean testing. He promised that 'Means Testing will neither be mean nor demeaning.'

The abattoir claimed to kill the pigs in the most humane and painless way. That is what we were told. But this is a bad analogy. Boon Wan was telling the people that he will be as kind and generous as possible. He tried his best to persuade the people of his good intention and that the Mean Testing is to help the poor. Reminds me of the 2% increase in GST.

We shall all bear witness to his assurance published in the msm. Let's see when it is eventually introduced and whether desperate people will have the book thrown into their faces. You are not qualified. Next please. You are not qualified. This is the rule. Next please....

We will only know after the rice is cooked.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion is good - Tony Tan

Tony Tan said this in response to concerns raised regarding GIC's investments overseas. His position is that if the concerns raised were not discussed and allowed to build up, they may lead to some form of financial protectionism.

Would Tony's comment that discussion is good applies to other fields, especially domestic issues? And would discussion is good also applies to cyberspace or only to some select groups?

Is discussion good or no good on some issues?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Govt must trust the people with their own money.' George Bush

Although I don't agree with Bush in many of his international policies, this is the most agreeable statement that came out from him. It is time that the gods and saints stop bullying and ridiculing the people by telling them that they are incapable of managing their own money.

It is time that they return the money to their rightful owners.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The relevant authorities should take the necessary action to criminalise anti competitive practices before they become prevalent.'
Lionel De Souza.

Before they become prevalent? I support Lionel's call, but wake up, it is prevalent and blatantly practised in many industries by supposely professional and respectable top management staff. They are rightfully called criminals and need to be punished for not only the crime but immoral and unethical practices.

It is a poor reflection of the high moral standards that these individuals eschewed and blared out loudly in public speeches. It is hypocrisy in the highest level of corporate management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: