Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Notable Quotes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obituary – Today we mourn the passing of Feed Me To The Fish
A day has passed and no more news from Fish. His blog is filled with condolence messages to Mrs Fish and the family. It is sad that our social media has lost a booming voice in defense of the common Singaporeans. His last stand was in Hong Lim Park on Feb 16. He was not a lone. His family was with him, and the 4000 Singaporeans that turned up to keep him company. It was an opportunity I missed to meet this honourable man.
Fish will be remembered by all the keyboard warriors in cyberspace and all those who read his blog and are touched by his humble sincerity to fight for the average Singaporeans. I can still remember him singing with gusto from his troubled heart,
‘Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men
This is the music of a people
Who would not be slaves again!
When the beating of the heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes’
Fish was very happy that night after the Worker’s Party reclaimed Hougang in a by election. He was joyous as he shared the moment with the people on the streets of Hougang and his video with all in cyberspace.
Bless you Fish. RIP.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinua Achebe - A tribute to a Nigerian nationalist and hero

‘He also addressed corruption head on, teaching younger Nigerians not to be hungry to the point of selling our birth rights. His soul and conscience were non negotiable. He turned down Nigeria’s national honours twice because he was one who believed an elder should not eat his meal atop a heap of malodorous rubbish.

He was a gentle rebel who refused to shake the necrotic outstretched hands of corrupt leaders. He was an old breed, a wise man from a different generation who could not stand the wanton looting of Nigeria’s public coffers.

Achebe would have loved to spend his twilight years among his own people instead of in America. With the bastardisation of a nation he was once proud of by kleptocratic military and civilian rulers, the old man had no country to return to alive.’

The above quote is by a Victor Ehikhamenor in his article on his Nigerian hero and nationalist, Chinua Achebe. The article is reproduced from the New York Times in the ST today. Reading the article allows me to reflect on the situation in Singapore and I conclude how lucky Singaporeans are for not having the kind of leaders the Nigerians were blessed with. Our leaders don’t eat their meals atop a heap of malodorous rubbish for sure. And Singaporeans are definitely not selling their birth rights away as they are not that hungry. And our nation was not bastardised by kleptocratic military and civilian rulers and looting the public coffers.

Thank God we are Singaporeans and we need not have to run away to live out the twilight years in America. Singaporeans better be grateful.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what is missing in the White Paper is all of us. We are not in the White Paper at all. M Ravi in his speech at Hong Lim Park on the Population White Paper.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notable Quote by Yaacob Ibrahim

I think it is important for us to ensure that they (ordinary Singaporeans) read the RIGHT thing. Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister of Information on BBC.

Who is this ‘us’? And what is so righteous about this ‘us’ to decide and ensure what is the RIGHT thing for Singaporeans to read? I think Singaporeans should read the right things in mysingaporenews. Boleh, betul?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 kinds of blindness worse than being blind
In an article written by a David Wu and Tanya Harrison on music in The Epoch Times they mentioned an ancient blind musician by the name of Shi Kuang. When the emperor took pity on his blindness he told the emperor that his blindness was nothing. There were 5 kinds of blindness that were worse than his.
He said, ‘when a king was blind to injustice, blind to his official’s incompetence, blind to the righteous, blindly engaged in war, and was blind to his subjects’ well being, his state would be doomed to fall and his people would suffer more.’
This little ancient wisdom can be applied to modern day states and the state of blindness of heads of govt or country. Any head of govt or country that lives with the 5 blindness will soon see his country’s doom and his own doom.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Zinn – Food for thought
"We were not born critical of existing society. There was a moment in our lives (or a month, or a year) when certain facts appeared before us, startled us, and then caused us to question beliefs that were strongly fixed in our consciousness – embedded there by years of family prejudices, orthodox schooling, imbibing of newspapers, radio, and television. This would seem to lead to a simple conclusion: that we all have an enormous responsibility to bring to the attention of others information they do not have, which has the potential of causing them to rethink long-held ideas."
— Howard Zinn, 2005 , Political Science Professor[
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pope Francis attacks the world’s economic system
Agence France Presse reported on 14 Jun 14 that ‘Pope Francis launched a sweeping attack of the world’s economic system in an interview…saying it discards the young, puts money ahead of people and survives on the profits of war.’
And this is what the 77 year old pontiff said, ‘It’s madness…We discard a whole generation to maintain an economic system that no longer endures, a system that to survive has to make war… But since we cannot wage the Third World War, we make regional wars. And what does that mean? That we make and sell arms.’
Now who is the Pope referring to? Which economic system is he referring to? For the enlightened, the answers are obvious. For the daft, they have been glorifying and praising the same economic system and the Evil Empire as the Empire of peace run by peace loving people. Now, would they believe the Pope or would they say the Pope is lying?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Zuckerberg - Why my Mandarin listening ability so bad

Mark Zuckerberg won over many Chinese fans when he met them and spoke to them in Mandarin while in China. They enjoyed his casual style and personal snippets like when he asked his Chinese wife why was his Mandarin listening ability was so bad.

His wife, 'You're also bad at listening in English'.

My answer would be, 'You are American'. The Americans have very serious problem listening to the Chinese even when the Chinese speaks in English.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Kuan Yew 1984 National Day Rally

Every thing works, whether its water, electricity, gas, telephone, telexes, it just has to work. If it doesn't work, I want to know why, and if I am not satisfied, and I often was not, the chief goes, and I have to find another chief. Firing the chief is very simple.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quotable quotes by Jess C Scott
Brain Drain: The emigration of highly trained or intelligent people from a particular country.
Jess C Scott posted this in her article in TRE titled ‘The main cause of Singapore’s brain drain’.
Let me try another definition.
Shit Drain: The emigration of highly untrained or shitty people from a particular country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: